Types of Marine Dock Ladders
A dock ladder is an important feature on any dock and may be a regulatory requirement in certain applications. No matter how low a dock sits in the water, a full clothed person would be challenged to make it onto the dock and therefore a dock ladder is important. A dock on a lake, a river, or the ocean could potentially have a different style of ladder. For a location with aggressive aquatic growth, a lifting
, or collapsing ladder that keeps the rungs out of the water to prevent the growth of marine life from accumulating on the rungs could be the better option for a ladder that is always in the water.
A dock on a lake might not require a dock ladder with folding or collapsing features but there are lake dock ladders available that are easily removable
for stowage such as during the freezing winter. Dock ladders are available in either a vertical or angle configuration with the angled dock ladders being more comfortable to ascend and descend than their vertical counterparts.
Many dock ladder manufacturers such as A1A Dock Products
, International Dock Products®
, Dock Edge®
and Jiff Marine®
, produce ladders in either aluminum or stainless steel whereas Dock Edge have ladders made with polyethylene. Lifts ladders and docks, Jiff dock ladders, Dock Edge and International dock lifting ladders are all products made in the USA.
Whether one is in the market for a fold up aluminum dock ladder, or Dock Edge stainless steel dock ladders, Go2Marine has a huge inventory of dock ladders for sale and is a valuable resource when looking for dock ladders for sale near you. Go2Marine can provide guidance with the purchase of docks, ladders, and lifts and often have promotions for discounted dock ladders.
Considerations for selecting a dock ladder
- Length of dock ladder- how far down do you need the ladder to extend?
- What type of water is the dock ladder being used in? Sea-water or Lake? - This will determine the material to select
- Is the dock ladder going to be exposed to freezing temperatures - can it be removed and stored for winter?
- Do you want the ladder to sit in the water or slide or flip-up to avoid marine growth
- Weight of people using the ladder. Is the general public going to be using the ladder - you might want to consider a robust dock ladder that can bear a lot of weight
- Comfort of the ladder? Wider steps are generally more comfortable on bare feet
- Length of warranty - each dock ladder manufacturer ensures the reliability of their ladders over a certain number of years
Ladders and steps are also useful on a boat. Whether it is intended to ease access from the dock or the water there is a style and design that will fulfill the need. Commercially available dock steps
are available in fiberglass with a gelcoat finish and some sporting a handrail for safety and convenience.
When in the market for dock maintenance products
such as dock edging
, fendering or other dock related accessories, Go2Marine has an extensive selection that is sure to match what requires replacement or a superior substitute.